Sustainable Consumption and Production (SCP) is a concept that promotes economic growth without compromising the environment or jeopardizing the needs of future generations. This means efficient use of natural resources, minimizing use of hazardous substances and reducing pollution and waste over the life cyle of products and services. Through this life cycle approach, SCP invites people to consider the environmental impact and ensure resource efficiency at both the production and consumption phases.
Malaysia as one of the seventeenth megadiverse countries is facing a great challenge to protect its natural endowment in order to ensure sustainable use of natural resources so as not to jeorpadize the need of future generation. The effort reflected in term of natural areas preservation whereby 54.6% of land area in Malaysia is covered by forest and up to 2015 while total terrestrial and inland water areas gazetted as protected areas increased from 10.8% in 2013 to 12.1%. Meanwhile, the total coastal and marine area gazetted as protected areas also has increased from 1.1% in 2013 to 3.4% in 2015. Apart from that, fcous was also given on setting the foundation for green growth initiatives with the implementation of Government green procurement. In 2017 as much as 21% procurement of selected 20 products and services were green in 2017 against the target of 20%.
Green growth will be a fundamental shift in how Malaysia sees the role of natural resources and the environment in its socio-economic development, protecting both development gains and biodiversity at the same time. Building a socio-economic development strategy that will increase the resilience to climate change and natural disasters remains critical. Green growth development trajectory in Malaysia will considers all three pillars of sustainable development – economic, social, and environment, and will better prepares the nation for future challenges.
Ecological benefits :
- Soil formation
- Waste disposal
- Air & water purification
- Nutrient cycling
- Solar energy absorption
- Food production
- Biodiversity helps biological community withstand stress better and recover more quickly
- 95% of potential pests & disease-carrying organisms in the world are controlled by natural predators & competitors
- Habitat Loss & Fragmentation
- PollutionPerubahan iklim
- Climate Change
- Over utilization / unsustainable use
- Population growth / urbanization / overconsumption
- Illegal Wildlife Trade / Species extinction / Invasive Alien Species
- Food chain impact and ecosystem weakening
- Basic human sustenance (Human health, Infectious diseases, Agriculture, Spiritual and cultural, Business, Leisure and tourism